Filed under A&E

Drama, Music Dept. Add New Professors

Advertisement - SNO Ad Network

by April York
Staff

The Transylvania Fine Arts Division welcomes two new professors this fall.

Jared Cole, the new assistant professor of drama, will teach technical theatre and theatre design courses.Jared Cole, assistant professor of drama, comes to Transy from Wayne State University in Detroit, Mich. He recently received his Master’s of Fine Arts in Scenic Design from the Hilberry Theatre at WSU. Before going to graduate school, Cole spent five years getting what he calls “real world experience,” working as both a technical director in professional theater and a long-term substitute music and drama teacher.

Cole will teach technical theater and theater design courses, as well as work with scene design for the drama department’s student productions. Possessing a multitude of experiences in acting as well as technical direction, Cole says he brings a “certain sensibility of a variety of backgrounds” to the sets he designs.
Transy’s liberal arts curriculum is the sort of setting Cole was looking for. He is most excited about working with students, having already sensed from them a great deal of passion and creativity.

Already holding high expectations of his students, Cole plans on tapping into this passion: “I don’t like doing theater just for the sake of theater. I like doing good theater.”

Dr. Timothy Polashek is in his seventh year of teaching and is the new assistant professor of music.Dr. Timothy Polashek, assistant professor of music, feels that he’s found a niche here at Transy.
Having attended a small liberal arts school for his undergraduate degree, Polashek noticed almost instantly during his interview process how engaging Transy’s students were. He says he is excited to work with a higher caliber of students in a city with diverse resources.

Polashek received his Doctor of Musical Arts in composition from Columbia University (New York, N.Y.) in 2002 and has spent the past seven years teaching, focusing mostly on music technology. He commented that music technology is not just teaching people how to use tools, but “trying to educate people who can create new tools.”

That the case for such a program has already been made at Transy, Polashek said, allows him to focus on improving the quality of the existing program.

Polashek hopes to provide students with a complete musical background and encourage them to imagine new types of tools and ways to make music.