Filed under Sports

Swimmers and Divers Head to DePauw

Advertisement - SNO Ad Network

by Carlos Melgar
Staff

In the DePauw University Invitational, the swimming and diving teams of Transylvania will sure be making a big splash as they take on teams from around the country. The Pioneers and DePauw, Franklin and Rhodes Colleges, Wittenberg University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology will be competing in the invitational this weekend. The Pioneers will leave on Thursday and head to Greencastle, Ind.

When asked about the DePauw Invitational, Head Swimming Coach George Villarreal said, “This is a great way to end the first half of the season. We have been working hard this season. This is the last meet of the (fall) season which is a good ending point for us. We hope that a few individuals will break varsity team records. This invitational will give us an idea of what to look forward to in our conference.”

Villarreal said that both the men’s and women’s teams competed hard in all of their meets despite the men’s team being smaller in number than last year.

The teams look to give the invitational their all as they compete in relays and in individual races.
Junior Sammy Washburn expressed her excitement for the DePauw Invitational.

“This will be our first big meet, and it will be nice to compete against other tough teams (who will) challenge us not only individually but as a team. … It will be fun to see all the hard work that we have done this season pay off,” Washburn said.

Sophomore Charlotte Alexander said, “We have had a really good season so far this year and we can only get better as we progress throughout the rest of the year.”

Before Thanksgiving break, the Pioneers competed in an away meet against the Union College (Ky.) Bulldogs, and then against the Franklin Grizzlies here at home, pulling off a double win.

Against the Grizzlies, the women won 101-76 with wins by Washburn in the 100 freestyle, sophomore Kaitlyn Reighley in the 100 butterfly and first-year Lindsey Anderson in the 200 individual medley. On the men’s side nine Pioneers placed first in their respective events, including senior Daniel Porter in the 100 breaststroke, sophomore Tommy Stephens in the 500 freestyle and sophomore Stephen Porter in the 100 backstroke.

Against the Bulldogs of Union College, the men won 58-37 and the women won 65-30. The men had wins by junior Dan Bastin in the 50 freestyle, sophomore Tyler Adams in the 1,650 freestyle, sophomore Brent Vorst in the 100 butterfly and first year Michael Kendall in the 200 freestyle. On the women’s side, senior Clare Gosser placed in the 50 freestyle and first-year Amanda Skinner in the 100 butterfly.